Undergraduate members of Eta Sigma Phi are invited to submit papers for consideration for presentation at the convention on Saturday March 24, 2018 at Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA. Creative works and artistic performances (musical, dramatic, etc.) may be proposed in lieu of a paper. The papers will be reviewed anonymously, and the members (usually 3 or 4) whose papers are selected for reading at the convention will have their registration fees refunded. Students should be certain that they will be able to attend the convention before submitting papers.
1. The presentation should deal with some aspect of classical civilizations, classical language, or the classical tradition; they should be directed to an undergraduate audience. (A paper written for a class is acceptable.)
2. Members proposing an artistic performance should submit a digital file along with a detailed written description of the performance, its goals, and its relevance to classical civilization.
3. The paper should be about eight double-spaced pages in length, to be read in 15 minutes or in 20 minutes if there are illustrations.
4. The paper should be submitted as it will be presented. A summary presentation via PowerPoint or other media may not be substituted at a later date.
5. The name of the author or other personal details that would allow identification should not appear anywhere on the paper or abstract.
6. Each submission must include a one-page abstract.
7. The society welcomes multiple submissions from a particular chapter, but be advised that only two presentations will be accepted from any one chapter.
8. All submissions must be submitted via the Eta Sigma Phi website (www.etasigmaphi.org) and be received by January 14, 2018. For artistic performances, only the detailed written description must be submitted electronically.
For more information, contact
David H. Sick
Executive Secretary, ΗΣΦ
Department of Greek and Roman Studies
2000 N. Parkway
Memphis, TN 38112
You must be logged in to post a comment.