Eta Sigma Phi had its beginning in 1914 when a group of students in the Department of Greek at the University of Chicago organized an undergraduate classical club to which honor students in Greek and Latin were elected to membership. This organization later united with a similar organization at Northwestern University and became Eta Sigma Phi. In 1924 the society became national, and chapters were organized at leading colleges and universities. The society was incorporated in 1927 under the laws of the State of Illinois.
To learn more about the history of Eta Sigma Phi, please download “A Short History of Eta Sigma Phi, the National Classical Honorary” (PDF) by Brent M. Froberg.