Home » Featured » News from the 87th Annual Convention
Over 100 delegates from 16 chapters attended the 87th annual convention in Atlantic City, NJ at the invitation of Stockton University. Attendees conducted the business of the society but also enjoyed scholarly presentations from students and faculty, certamina, and Greek dancing lessons.
Among the highlights…
- Petitions for new chapters were approved from the University of Oregon and San Francisco State University.
- New national officers were elected: Vanessa Pierre (Epsilon, University of Iowa) as megale prytanis, Emma Vanderpool (Gamma Omicron, Monmouth College) as megale hyparchos, Jeremiah Weigert (Epsilon, University of Iowa) as megas grammateus, Alexandra Howell (Beta Psi, Rhodes College) as megale chrysophylax.
- The 2015 scholarship winners were announced.
- The 2015 Translation Contest winners were announced.
- Ann Arbor, Michigan was selected as the convention site for the 2017 convention. The 2016 convention will be held in Monmouth, Illinois. Gamma Omicron of Monmouth College will host the 2016 convention, Alpha Eta of the University of Michigan the 2017 convention.
- The Roads Scholars of Rhodes College won the annual certamen.
- Delta Theta of Dickinson College was awarded the Outreach Prize for its after- school Latin program for local primary students.
- After a lengthy floor debate, delegates rejected the proposal to bet the endowment on red.
Delegates heard three papers from student members of the society:
“ἵνα κλέος ἐσθλὸν ἄροιτο κεῖσ᾽ ἐλθών: Kleos in the Voyage of Telemachus,” Joshua Benjamins, Eta Delta at Hillsdale College
“Passer: From Small Bird to Big Love,” Emma Vanderpool, Gamma Omicron at Monmouth College
“Incertas Umbras: The Mysterious Pastoral in Virgil’s Eclogues,” Rachelle Ferguson, Eta Delta at Hillsdale College
Abstracts of the papers by Ms. Ferguson and Ms. Vanderpool will appear in Nuntius, and Mr. Benjamins’s paper will be published in full.